Valuable information from UWLP (an email from Susan Madsen):
The Utah Women & Leadership Project (UWLP) has a number of announcements for December:
First, we are thrilled to announce that our next community event at UVU will be held on January 30, 2019 (6:30-8:00pm) and is titled “Silent Souls Weeping: Emerging from Depression with Strength and Hope.” The speaker, Jane Clayson Johnson, is a national broadcast journalist, widely known for her work at CBS News, ABC News, and NPR. Over more than two decades, she traveled the world covering international stories, presidential campaigns, and interviewing the biggest newsmakers of the day. Jane’s current work is around helping to open an honest, authentic, and hopeful dialogue for those who suffer from depression and those who want to help. See more details here and you can RSVP online now. All are welcome.
Second, we are pleased to announce the release of three new resources:
- INFOGRAPHIC: “Poverty Among Utah Women” (based on this 2016 snapshot)
- PODCAST: “Poverty Among Utah Women” [iTunes or the UWLP blog]
- WHAT CAN I DO?: “What Women’s Networks and Groups Can Do to Strengthen the Impact of Utah Girls and Women”
Third, the Utah Women in the Economy Commission and UWLP partnered to create a recommendation report for Governor Gary R. Herbert & The Utah Legislature (and others) based upon a recent one-day “Utah Women’s Postsecondary Education Roundtable” with key stakeholders. This new report offers five recommendations that will help provide the support and resources necessary for more women and families in Utah to receive the benefits of education and for Utah to reach its economic and workforce goals for the future. You can read the report here. We thank Representatives Rebecca Chavez-Houck and Becky Edwards for their passion and leadership on this topic. The latest research on Utah women in higher education can be found here.
Fourth, Susan Madsen is conducting a new study looking at the leadership development gained by women who served full-time missions for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints during their young adulthood. If you or someone you know fits this criteria, I would greatly appreciate it if you would take this 10-20 minute survey or pass it along: https://uvu.qualtrics.com/jfe/
Fifth, one of our partners is hosting events in January:
- December 15, 2018: Junior League of Salt Lake City, Wassail for Women; 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM (learn more about this social and service for victims of trafficking here).
- January 18, 2019: Real Women Run Celebrating the Political Kaleidoscope; 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM; YWCA Utah, Salt Lake City, UT (registration will be here soon).
- January 19, 2019: Real Women Run Winter Training; 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM; SLCC Miller Campus, Sandy, UT (registration will be here soon).
Finally, a new LinkedIn article by Susan Madsen is titled, “Developing Women Leaders by Transforming Habitual Thought Processes” (see other LinkedIn articles here). We also want to highlight a few videos from our community event in September: Keynote by Ruth Todd: Navigating Transitions and Workshop: Navigating the Home to Workforce Transition. All of our videos are here. Better Days 2020, one of our partners, also has some fabulous resources to share related to Utah women’s history: “First to Vote” license plate, 4th and 7th grade lesson plans, and illustrated trading cards.